About The Goethe-Institut
The Goethe-Institut (GI) is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global reach. GI aims to promote knowledge of the German language abroad, fostering international cultural cooperation.
With over 350,000 users spread across over 90 countries and 159 institutes, the Goethe-Institut runs one of the largest Moodle installations world-wide. It is a heavily customised system catering for the unique needs of language teachers and learners across the globe.
What we did
In collaboration with GI we developed ‘Deutsch Online’, GI’s online e learning system built on Moodle architecture and aligned to the European Framework language divisions. This enables students to undertake a German course of their choice, in a suitable time and location, offering ongoing guidance, support and progression independently and/or collaboratively at their own pace.
- Configuration and optimisation of the Moodle hosting platform for Deutsch Online
- Development of customised course format and quiz questions to enable interactive learning
- Premium support offering unlimited hours and priority support by our internal team as and when required
- Creation of a new course navigation block and star rating option that enables users to visually identify course progress
- Custom development to allow users to automatically pick up at the exact point of a course where they left off
- Custom development to enable the creation of sub-chapters
- New grading screens for tutors
- Variation of course content for specific users
- Development of badges to reward students for completion of courses
- Training and support for key staff as and when required
what they said
Through the support from Synergy Learning we were able to extend our learning management system to become an attractive world-wide offering. As supplier of online and blended learning language courses for German as a foreign language, we have often very specific requirements. We have been supported from consultancy to implementation through Synergy Learning’s valuable consultancy and development expertise. Through continual development, the learning management system has become central to the digital strategy of the Goethe-Institut
Joachim Quandt (Sprachkurse und Fortbildungen)
- Higher success rates in online language courses
- Increased levels of customer satisfaction among learners
- Overall enhanced user experience offering an ‘online learning’ approach