Founded in 1892, Halfords Group PLC is a retailer of car parts, car enhancement, camping, touring and bicycles. Listed on the London Stock Exchange and a constituent of the FTSE 250 index, Halfords successfully operates around 780 stores and centres in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
The main business units include Halfords Retail, Halfords Auto-centres and Cycle Republic. Halfords Retail offers a range of sub-brands as part of the product portfolio including Apollo, Bikehut, Boardman Bikes, Exodus, Pampero and Ripspeed while MOT services and repairs are offered in the Halfords Auto centres.
The organisation continues to go from strength to strength expanding the product portfolio and service offerings to ensure that Halfords has all customers covered for ‘All of life’s journeys.’
what we did
After in-depth scoping and collaboration with the Halfords People Development team, we concluded that Halfords needed an LMS that would:
Enable them to focus their training at the right time for colleagues, aligned to seasonal and offer activity
Provide clear insight into employee capabilities to enable leaders to ensure they have the right capabilities in the place to deliver customer offers effectively and consistently across all Retail stores and Auto centres
We identified a three-step phased approach to develop and progress the project.
Actions – Phase 1 (Implementation of core services)
- Migration of Halfords HUB, the Totara LMS data and database including an upgrade of the site to the latest Totara LMS version
- Hosting of Halfords HUB to include a 12 months fully managed hosting of Halfords HUB
- Totara LMS Licensing set-up for up to 20,000 active users
- Implementation of an Unlimited Hours Priority Totara LMS Support Contract
- Full Project Management provided by Synergy Learning
Additional services – Phase 2 (Development)
- Totara LMS Development project to provide added features and enhancements to the Halfords HUB platform.These included:
- Development of customised course completion status feature to enable administrators to identify individual user progress and course completion details
- Enhanced tag search facility to produce accurate user search results
- Implementation of a featured courses area where users can search for courses information tailored to interests and individual learning needs
- New course content flag
- Appraisal notifications to allow line mangers to be notified when their employees’ appraisals are due
- Enhanced Seminar Management plugin enabling seminars to be managed in a more robust, centralised manner
Additional Services – Phase 2 (Design)
- High-level Totara LMS theme design. This included a unique theme, concept design, responsive or fixed width options, Homepage layout & design
- Development of Mobile & Tablet responsive support for new Halfords HUB theme
- Individualised theme design for the Cycle Republic product range
Additional Services – Phase 3 (Development)
- Development of a Gamification Block based on the certifications, programs, courses, and activities that a learner has completed across the site. This will encourage interaction and add an element of ‘fun’ to the overall user learning experience.
What they said
Since partnering with Halfords, Synergy Learning have supported the People Development team in growing the use and effectiveness of eLearning through the deployment of Totara LMS. A mix of learning styles and content is used across the Halfords HUB. Synergy Learning’s honest, flexible and scalable approach has been invaluable for us, not only allowing for rapid deployment of new learning projects but also in ensuring the solutions are delivered in the most cost-effective manner. New development projects to enhance the LMS are scoped in detail and a project timeline is always agreed in advance to ensure the development feature (s) are ready for the go-live date specified by us. We’d recommend Synergy Learning (and have done so already) because, unlike most suppliers, they work with us to find and implement the best possible solution. They don’t chase the pounds and their focus is solely on what will support us going forward.
Laura Dangerfield, People Development – Halfords
- 12,500 Halfords employees registered on the Halfords HUB across the UK, Ireland and Asia.
- Halfords reported a 20% spike in employees using the HUB since Synergy Learning provided Totara LMS services
- Halfords employees can register for access to a range of online interactive and informative business modules
- Halfords employees can be part of and engage with an online community to share information
- Halfords now have a robust, reliable and secure hosting solution